Monday 27 January 2014

Directions Unit- Psycho



During a lecture/screening day we watched Psycho the 1960's Alfred Hitchcock film. After we watched the film we analysed some of the scenes that were created and looked at how they were made to look to the audience. For example the shower scene seems natural but through out the scene the small bathroom seems to expand and have more room, like a room inside a room. We watched the camera movements and how they presented characters to the audience.

After watching and analysing some of Psycho I had some new ideas for my film. These included some longer shots, the opening shot could start with the clock moving over glass and pill bottles to a "bed" with a young man sitting on the edge. This would be a sort of mid panning shot. I decided to change the package slightly, instead of the package being a paper bag, I decided that the pill bottle will be wrapped up in newspaper. This is inspired by the money the character puts in the newspaper. I also decided that I will want to use higher angles as if to make the character to look small and weaker. This is inspired by the way the camera moves in the scene with the detective and Bates. I have also decided to try make my James character look more sinister using shadow on the face, this will not be to hide the face but to show a method of James trying to hide from the world with the use of a hood. This is inspired by the shower scene and how the face of the killer is not seen by the use of shadow.


No comments:

Post a Comment