Monday 6 July 2015

Pre-Production- Adaptation

Before I start to write the script I must first look into how to adapt a novel. Although in a previous unit I have adapted a poem into a short film, the novel will need to be tackled differently as there is more detail then necessarily needed in the script. I will also have to look at a few other pieces of the script so I decided to do some research into adapting books. 
Script mag is a website that has a few helpful tips such as making a list of:

  • The world and setting the story 
  • The 5-8 main characters of the story including the protagonist and antagonist
  • What 5 things about the main character are the most important for the audience to know.
  • The major conflict of the story and why/how they occur 
  • The most key scenes in the book that connect to how the conflict plays out 
  • The major overarching theme of the book 
For part of my research I have the following book to read before I start my script:
  • The first 10 pages: how to adapt your novel into a screen play 
Hopefully by reading this book I can get a few tips on how to change the book into a screen play.

Online there are more books to help my research such as:


No comments:

Post a Comment