Thursday 8 October 2015

Pre-Production- Opening Titles

As part of this unit for my adaptation I would like to create opening titles. While looking into opening titles I thought I would look at other similar shows and pick my favourite elements from each.



Can not look into opening titles without looking at my current case study's. Poirot offers a almost comical styled opening title sequence featuring the lead walking through what can be assumed to be street lights with a cane. Graphics relating to detective genres is used i.e a gun, magnifying glass and men walking into smoky shadows. I'm not sure there is much to take away from this sequence but the idea of using an actor in the opening titles.



Then there are the more modern style adaptations such as Sherlock that use the locations, busy environments and detective genre items, they use the same as Poirot in a magnifying glass (but with Sherlock using) a gun but in this sequence they also add a more scientific image of cells, I believe this shows the program as being more modern in its portrayal.



Doc Martin's opening also have the use of the location being blended into each other, finishing on a pan of the village to the main location. This is different due to the lack of actors featured in the opening sequence only the use of many locations.



Although a more hard hitting drama Luther's title sequence uses shadows, locations and some images of the actor. This is implying mystery and darkness.

With the use of these examples I have more of an idea of what to use and what to avoid. By using the locations you can open it to the audience of having an idea where we are set but by using such things as associated with detective genre you can give indications as to what the show will be about. I need to avoid using serious music and dark colours as that changes the tone of the piece before it's even started.

No comments:

Post a Comment